The morning after a night of overindulgence often brings with it the dreaded hangover, a condition characterised by headaches, nausea, fatigue, and dehydration.
In the quest for relief, many are now turning to CBD, or cannabidiol, a non-psychoactive compound found in cannabis plants, as a potential remedy.
This post dives deep into the potential effectiveness of CBD for alleviating hangover symptoms, examining how this natural remedy interacts with the body’s systems to ease the discomforts associated with a hangover potentially.
Using CBD Oil for Hangover Symptoms – Does it Work?
Using CBD oil for hangover symptoms may offer several benefits.
Its anti-inflammatory properties can help manage headaches, while its antiemetic effects can reduce nausea.
CBD may also alleviate feelings of anxiety and depression that can accompany a hangover.
Additionally, its antioxidant qualities help combat oxidative stress from alcohol consumption.
While CBD can aid in improving sleep and overall wellness, it’s important to remember that it’s not a cure for hangovers but a complementary aid.
Proper hydration and rest are still essential.
Let’s look at this in more detail:
- Manages Headaches: CBD oil is known for its anti-inflammatory properties, which could help reduce the inflammation contributing to headaches, a common hangover symptom.
- Minimises Nausea: CBD has antiemetic effects, which can help calm the stomach and reduce nausea, often experienced after heavy drinking.
- Minimises Anxiety and Depression: CBD is also recognised for its potential to ease anxiety and improve mood, which can be particularly beneficial as hangovers can sometimes exacerbate feelings of anxiety and low mood.
- Quells Free Radicals: CBD possesses antioxidant properties, which can help neutralise free radicals in the body. Excessive alcohol consumption can lead to oxidative stress, and CBD’s antioxidant action might help in mitigating this.
- Improving Sleep: CBD can have a calming effect on the nervous system, potentially aiding in better sleep, which can be disrupted after drinking alcohol.
- Hydration and Electrolyte Balance: While CBD doesn’t directly hydrate the body, it can contribute to overall wellness, which might indirectly support the body’s recovery from dehydration caused by alcohol.
It’s essential to approach the use of CBD oil with awareness, as it’s not a cure for hangovers and should be used as part of a broader approach to recovery that includes hydration and rest.
Related Post: CBD as an anti-inflammatory.
Can Taking CBD Prevent Hangovers from Alcohol?
Taking CBD cannot prevent hangovers as it does not counteract the primary causes of hangovers, such as dehydration, electrolyte imbalances, and the toxic effects of alcohol on the body.
While CBD may help alleviate some hangover symptoms like nausea or anxiety, it does not have the properties to prevent a hangover from occurring after excessive alcohol consumption.
The most effective way to prevent hangovers remains moderate alcohol consumption and staying hydrated.
Related Post: CBD and alcohol.
Can You Use CBD for Hangover Anxiety?
CBD may be beneficial for managing hangover anxiety, a common aftermath of excessive alcohol consumption.
This could provide some relief from the heightened anxiety often experienced during a hangover.
However, it’s essential to understand that while CBD can aid in symptom management, it’s not a cure for the underlying causes of hangover-related anxiety.
Responsible alcohol consumption and overall wellness practices are also crucial in managing such symptoms.
Related Post: CBD and Anxiety
What Are The Symptoms of a Hangover?
The symptoms of a hangover can vary from person to person but typically include a combination of physical and mental effects following heavy alcohol consumption.
Common symptoms are headaches, nausea, sensitivity to light and sound, dizziness, fatigue, dehydration, irritability, and difficulty concentrating.
Some people might also experience muscle aches, a rapid heartbeat, and mood changes, such as feeling anxious or depressed.
The severity and combination of these symptoms can vary based on factors like the amount of alcohol consumed, individual tolerance, and overall health.
(Click here to see our CBD-infused body oil).
What is the Best Type of CBD for Hangovers?
For managing hangover symptoms, using full-spectrum CBD sublingually is often considered the most effective approach.
Full-spectrum CBD contains a variety of cannabinoids, terpenes, and other compounds found in the cannabis plant, which work together to enhance the therapeutic effects, a phenomenon known as the ‘entourage effect’.
This synergy potentially makes full-spectrum more effective in alleviating various hangover symptoms.
Taking CBD sublingually by placing it under the tongue is advantageous for quick absorption into the bloodstream.
This bypasses the digestive system, allowing more immediate effects than ingestion methods like capsules or edibles.
The sublingual administration can be particularly beneficial for rapid relief from symptoms like nausea, anxiety, and headaches.
What Causes Hangovers?
Hangovers are caused by consuming alcohol in quantities that the body struggles to process efficiently.
Alcohol is a diuretic, leading to dehydration and an imbalance of electrolytes.
It also causes the expansion of blood vessels, leading to headaches and irritating the stomach lining, resulting in nausea and discomfort.
The liver’s processing of alcohol produces acetaldehyde, a toxic compound that contributes to hangover symptoms.
Moreover, alcohol can disrupt sleep patterns and blood sugar levels, adding to feelings of fatigue and irritability.
The severity of a hangover can vary based on factors like the type and amount of alcohol consumed, individual tolerance levels, and overall health.
Other Hangover Remedies You Can Try as Well as CBD Oil
Alongside CBD oil, there are various other remedies you can try to alleviate hangover symptoms:
- Hydration: Drinking plenty of water or rehydration solutions can help replenish fluids and electrolytes lost due to alcohol’s diuretic effect.
- Healthy Foods: Eating nutrient-rich foods, significantly those high in vitamins and minerals, can aid recovery. Bananas and avocados, for example, are suitable for restoring potassium levels.
- Rest: Adequate sleep can help your body recover and alleviate fatigue and irritability.
- Ginger or Peppermint Tea: They can help soothe an upset stomach and reduce nausea.
- Pain Relief Medication: Over-the-counter pain relievers can help with headaches and muscle aches. However, it’s essential to choose them carefully, as some, like acetaminophen, can be harsh on the liver, especially after heavy drinking.
- Light Exercise: Gentle activities like walking can boost your mood and energy levels, though it’s important not to overexert yourself.
- Avoiding Caffeine and Nicotine: These can further dehydrate you and worsen hangover symptoms.
- Avoiding ‘Hair of the Dog’ (more alcohol): This can further tax your system and delay recovery.
Remember, the best hangover remedy is moderation and prevention.
Drinking responsibly and staying hydrated while consuming alcohol can help minimise hangovers. If symptoms persist or are severe, consulting with a healthcare professional is advisable.
Lisa’s Top Tip for CBD Hangover Remedies
As a long-term user of CBD and also someone who makes and sells it, I would love to say that it is a miracle cure for hangovers.
Sadly this is not my opinion so I won’t say it!
I am confident, however, from my own experience that it can help take the edge off the nastier symptoms of alcohol hangovers.
So I can definitely recommend that you give it a go the next time you are suffering from the morning after the night before!
Related Post: CBD can be used for alcohol withdrawal symptoms.
Final Notes Using On CBD Oil for Hangover Cures
CBD oil has emerged as a potential aid for hangover symptoms, offering relief from headaches, nausea, anxiety, and oxidative stress, but it’s not a cure-all solution.
The effectiveness of CBD, especially when taken sublingually in full-spectrum form, lies in its ability to interact with the body’s endocannabinoid system, providing symptomatic relief.
However, it’s important to remember that CBD does not prevent hangovers, which are primarily caused by alcohol’s diuretic effect, dehydration, and toxic by-products.
Hangover symptoms vary widely but typically include headaches, nausea, fatigue, and mood changes.
A holistic approach is required to effectively manage these, including staying hydrated, eating nutrient-rich foods, getting enough rest, and using over-the-counter pain relief responsibly.
Light exercise and avoiding caffeine, nicotine, and further alcohol consumption can also aid recovery.
Ultimately, moderation in alcohol consumption and preventive measures are vital to avoiding hangovers.
For those considering a CBD hangover remedy, starting with a low dose and consulting with a healthcare professional is advisable to ensure safe and effective use.
Related Post: How long after taking CBD oil can you drink alcohol?