Navigating the world of CBD can be a bit of a maze, particularly when it comes to the most effective ways to take it.
One very popular method of consumption is taking CBD oil ‘sublingually’ or under the tongue.
This direct route into the bloodstream bypasses the digestive system, potentially boosting the efficacy of CBD oil.
Whether you’re a seasoned CBD user or a curious newcomer, understanding the merits of sublingual applications could enrich your CBD journey.
Related Post: Can You Smoke CBD?
Why Do You Put CBD Oil Under Your Tongue?
CBD oil is often taken sublingually or under the tongue.
This method of administration is chosen for several reasons:
- Rapid Absorption: The area beneath your tongue is rich in capillaries or small blood vessels. By holding the CBD oil there, you allow it to be absorbed directly into your bloodstream. This bypasses the digestive system and liver, where the CBD oil could otherwise be broken down and its effectiveness potentially diminished.
- Efficiency and Effectiveness: When CBD is ingested, it goes through the digestive system and then the liver before entering the bloodstream. This process is known as first-pass metabolism and can significantly reduce the concentration of CBD that eventually reaches the bloodstream. Sublingual administration allows more CBD to directly enter your bloodstream, improving the bioavailability of the compound.
- Ease and Convenience: It’s easy to use CBD oil sublingually—you simply place a few drops under your tongue and hold them there for about 90-120 seconds before swallowing. You can do it at any time, anywhere, and it doesn’t require any additional tools or equipment.
- Controlled Dosage: It’s easier to control dosage when using CBD oil sublingually. You can precisely measure out how much CBD you are getting, adjust the dose as needed, and ensure consistent dosing.
- Fast Onset of Effects: Due to direct absorption into the bloodstream, the effects of CBD taken sublingually can be felt more quickly than those of ingested CBD. This can be particularly beneficial for those using CBD for conditions such as anxiety or acute pain, where a swift response is often necessary.
So, the practice of taking CBD oil under your tongue offers a balance of ease, effectiveness, and efficiency.
Not only that, but also increases the amount of active CBD entering the system, which means you’re making the most of CBD in a cost-effective way.
Related Post: Does CBD Oil Expire?
How To Take CBD Oil Under Your Tongue
If you’re planning to take CBD oil under your tongue, here are the steps you can follow:
- Prepare Your Dose: Start by shaking the CBD oil bottle to ensure any cannabinoid compounds are evenly dispersed. Using the attached dropper, draw your desired amount of CBD oil. If you are new to CBD, it is generally recommended to start with a small dose.
- Place the Drops Under Your Tongue: Gently squeeze the dropper to place the drops of CBD oil under your tongue. Try to spread it out over a large area of tissue. This doesn’t need to be exact, and it’s just about ensuring the oil is spread out a bit.
- Wait Before Swallowing: Hold the oil under your tongue for at least 3 minutes. You can move the oil around your mouth with your tongue to make sure it comes into contact with as many mucous membranes as possible. This time allows for the CBD oil to be absorbed into your bloodstream via the capillaries in your mouth, which means it can start to take effect more quickly.
- Swallow the Remaining Oil: After the time has passed, swallow any remaining CBD oil. This will now pass through your digestive system and also be absorbed into your bloodstream.
It’s important to note that it may take a while to feel the full effects of CBD when taking it sublingually, as everybody’s body is different and may process cannabinoids at different rates.
Start with a low dose, and adjust as necessary based on your personal experience and how your body responds.
How Many Drops Of CBD Oil Under Tongue?
The number of drops of CBD oil you should take under your tongue or sublingually can vary widely depending on a number of factors.
Here are a few things to consider:
- Concentration of the CBD Oil: CBD oils come in different concentrations, meaning they contain different amounts of CBD per ml of oil. Check the product label to find out the CBD content per drop or per ml.
- Your Body Weight: Generally, heavier individuals may require a higher dose of CBD to experience the same effects as someone lighter. There is no one-size-fits-all dose, but a common recommendation is to take 1-6 mg of CBD for every 10 pounds of body weight, depending on your level of pain or discomfort.
- Desired Effects: If you’re using CBD oil for general wellness, you might need a different dose than if you’re targeting a specific issue or symptom.
- Your Personal Biology: Everyone’s body responds differently to CBD. Some people might experience the desired effects with a small dose, while others might need a higher dose.
The key to finding the best dosage for you is to start low and increase slowly over time until you experience the desired effects.
For example, you might start with 2-3 drops of a low-strength CBD oil once or twice a day and gradually increase the number of drops or the frequency as needed.
If you find yourself at the point of taking half to a full dropper of CBD, it’s time to increase the strength of the bottle that you’re using.
That way, you can go back to only taking up to a few drops each time while ensuring max potency.
How Often Can You Take CBD Oil Under Tongue?
The frequency with which you can take CBD oil under your tongue depends on several factors.
These can include your reasons for using CBD oil, your individual body’s response, the concentration of the CBD oil, and any advice from a healthcare professional.
Generally, CBD oil can be taken one to three times a day.
Some people may take it only once daily, while others might take it in the morning and evening.
In some cases, for acute symptoms, it can even be taken up to every 4-6 hours.
Here are some guidelines:
- Start Small: If you’re new to CBD oil, start with a small dose once a day and monitor how your body responds. This can help you to understand how CBD affects you and whether there are any side effects.
- Increase Slowly: If you feel that your initial dose isn’t having the desired effect, you can slowly increase the dose or frequency. You might increase to twice a day or adjust the number of drops you take each time.
However, remember to do this gradually, giving your body time to adjust to the new dose each time.
- Regular Schedule: Some people find it helpful to take CBD oil at the same time each day. This can help to maintain a consistent level of CBD in your system.
- Personalise Your Approach: Everybody is unique, so what works for one person might not work for you. It’s essential to listen to your body and adjust your regimen as needed.
What Are The Benefits Of CBD Oil Under Tongue?
Taking CBD oil under your tongue, also known as sublingual administration, offers several benefits.
Some further benefits of taking CBD oil sublingually include:
- Increased Bioavailability: The area under the tongue is rich in mucous membranes. When CBD oil is held here, it gets absorbed directly into your bloodstream, bypassing the digestive system and liver, where it can be broken down and its potency reduced. This increases the amount of CBD that reaches your bloodstream (bioavailability), making it more effective.
- Quick Absorption: Sublingual administration ensures that CBD is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream. The onset of effects is faster compared to other methods like ingestion, where CBD has to go through the digestive system.
- Ease of Use: Sublingual administration is simple and doesn’t require any additional tools. You just need to place a few drops of the oil under your tongue using the dropper provided.
- Dosing Control: Using the dropper allows for easy measurement and adjustment of the dosage based on your needs.
- Non-Invasive: Compared to other methods of administration like vaping or smoking, taking CBD oil sublingually is non-invasive and poses less risk to respiratory health.
When is the Best Time To Take CBD Oil Under Tongue?
Here at CBD Queen we always recommend taking your CBD oil at least twice a day.
In the morning and evening would be ideal.
For most people, these times of day are the most convenient to incorporate their CBD regimen into their routines.
Ultimately, the best time to take CBD oil will depend on what works best for your schedule and lifestyle and also why you’re taking it.
Some people might need to take it more than once a day, spreading the doses out, while others might only need to take it once.
A bit of trial and error may be needed here to find out what works best for you personally.
What is the Best Type of Oil to Take Sub-Lingually?
The best type of CBD to take would be our high-strength Full Spectrum oil. This is due to the effectiveness of full-spectrum CBD.
Not only is the effectiveness important, but it’s also about the quality of the raw ingredients used as well.
Here at CBD Queen, we use some of the world’s finest raw distillate in our CBD oils, making them some of the most powerful available in the UK.
The bottles for every strength are all 10ml, resulting in max potency for high effectiveness.
Having smaller bottles also means you use less oil to achieve high strength, which is not only easier to hold under your tongue, it’s also more cost-effective as you use less oil.
CBD Queen offers a wide variety of CBD strengths, ranging from 300mg to 2000mg.
Flavours include Natural Hemp, Orange, and Peppermint.
Lisa’s Top Tip for Taking CBD Under the Tongue
Speaking from my personal experience and knowledge, I always tell anyone who is using CBD oil to make sure to hold the oil under the tongue for at LEAST 3 minutes or as long as you physically can.
Holding the oil under your tongue for as long as possible ensures the highest level of effectiveness before you swallow it and it becomes digested, losing a lot of its beneficial properties.
My other big piece of advice is to make sure the CBD oil is taken consistently.
Being consistent with your CBD by taking it every single day ensures not only effectiveness but also efficiency in regard to what you’re taking it for.
Also, for a tip on dosing, it’s best to try and have an equal gap between your CBD doses, as this gives you body steady doses of CBD, which will work more effectively within the body.
Final Notes on Taking CBD Under Your Tongue.
Taking CBD oil under the tongue or sublingually is a convenient and efficient method of consumption.
Timing and dosage vary depending on individual needs, body weight, CBD concentration, and personal response.
Patiently adjust dosage and timing to find what suits you best.
Leave CBD oil under your tongue for as long as possible for the best possible results.
Remember, consistency is key!