Fibromyalgia is a complex and often misunderstood condition characterised by widespread pain, fatigue, and a host of other challenging symptoms.
As sufferers seek relief, many are turning to CBD oil as a potential natural remedy.
In this post, we will explore the role of CBD oil in managing fibromyalgia symptoms, its potential benefits, and what current research says.
We’ll also discuss the legal and medical considerations you should consider before incorporating CBD oil into your treatment regimen.
Using CBD Oil For Fibromyalgia
CBD oil is being explored as a treatment for fibromyalgia symptoms such as chronic pain, sleep issues, inflammation, and mood disorders.
Its efficacy may vary among individuals and is not yet standardised or regulated like traditional medications.
Legalities also differ based on location and THC content.
It’s essential to consult with your doctor before using CBD oil for fibromyalgia to ensure safety and proper dosage.
Current research is promising but inconclusive, indicating the need for further studies to understand its benefits and risks fully.
Let’s look at this in more detail:
Potential Benefits of Taking CBD for Fibromyalgia:
- Pain Management: CBD oil may help manage the chronic pain associated with fibromyalgia by interacting with the body’s endocannabinoid system, which plays a role in pain regulation.
- Sleep Improvement: CBD has properties that may improve sleep quality, which can be beneficial since sleep disturbances are common in people with fibromyalgia.
- Reduced Inflammation: CBD has anti-inflammatory effects that may help relieve some inflammation contributing to fibromyalgia pain.
- Mood Regulation: CBD may also help regulate mood and could be beneficial in managing symptoms of anxiety or depression that often accompany fibromyalgia.
Considerations When Using CBD Oil for Symptoms of Fibromyalgia:
- Variability of Effects: The effects of CBD can vary widely among individuals. What works for one person in managing fibromyalgia symptoms might not work for another.
- Lack of Standardisation: CBD products are not regulated the same way as medications, which can lead to inconsistencies in quality and dosage.
- Legal Status: While CBD is legal in many places, its legal status can still vary by location and by the THC content of the product.
It’s essential to consult with a healthcare provider before starting CBD oil for fibromyalgia to ensure it’s appropriate for your situation, to discuss potential interactions with other medications, and to establish a safe dosage.
Research into CBD’s efficacy for fibromyalgia is ongoing.
Some studies suggest potential benefits, but more robust clinical investigation is needed to establish definitive conclusions about its effectiveness and safety for this condition.
What Type of CBD Oil is Best for Fibromyalgia Symptoms?
For managing symptoms of fibromyalgia, organic full-spectrum CBD oil is often recommended as the best option.
- Organic Certification: Organic CBD oil is produced without synthetic chemicals and pesticides, ensuring you consume a pure product. This is particularly important for individuals with fibromyalgia, who may be more sensitive to these substances.
- Full-Spectrum: Full-spectrum CBD oil contains all the cannabinoids, terpenes, and other beneficial compounds in the hemp plant, including trace amounts of THC. This array of compounds works synergistically in what’s known as the “entourage effect,” potentially enhancing the oil’s therapeutic effects. The full spectrum of cannabinoids may more effectively interact with the body’s endocannabinoid system, which regulates pain and inflammation.
- Sublingual Administration: Taking CBD oil sublingually (under the tongue) is one of the most efficient consumption methods. The area under the tongue is rich in capillaries, allowing for faster absorption of CBD into the bloodstream. This method can provide quicker relief from the pain and other symptoms associated with fibromyalgia compared to ingestion methods, which take longer to process through the digestive system.
When choosing a CBD oil for fibromyalgia, look for products that are third-party lab-tested for purity and potency.
This testing can ensure that the product contains the stated amount of CBD and is free of contaminants.
Remember to consult with a healthcare provider before starting any new supplement, including CBD oil, to ensure it is appropriate for your specific health needs and to avoid any potential interactions with other medications.
What is Fibromyalgia?
This condition is characterised by extensive musculoskeletal pain and varied symptoms like fatigue, nausea, and mood swings.
Fibromyalgia typically distorts the transmission of pain signals and heightens painful sensations. As a result, people affected by it can experience significant discomfort.
The actual cause of this condition is unknown, but researchers believe that different factors can contribute.
These factors include chemical imbalances, changes in the central nervous system, genetics, emotional stress, and physical trauma.
Widespread pain, fatigue, and cognitive difficulties are symptoms that herald an attack.
The pain, in many parts of the body, is felt constantly.
In addition, fibromyalgia causes victims to feel exhausted, even in the morning after a long sleep.
Anyone can develop this condition, but the odds increase with advancing age, being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, and your sex; women are at twice as much risk of developing the condition as men.
Regular days can feel unattainable for a person affected by fibromyalgia, as the symptoms keep you from enjoying life.
After a fibromyalgia diagnosis, most people follow strict adherence to medication and self-management health tips.
Ways Fibromyalgia Patients May Consume CBD Oil
Fibromyalgia patients may take CBD in a variety of ways.
Sublingual: this ingestion method involves placing CBD oil under your tongue and holding it for 3-4 minutes or until the CBD is absorbed via the sublingual blood vessels.
This consumption method makes for high bioavailability and rapid effects. It mainly involves tinctures.
Oral: this ingestion method gives you more flavour and product type flexibility. It consists of CBD-infused foods and beverages.
Oral ingestion typically delays the onset of CBD effects, and this is because CBD is metabolised before being discharged into the bloodstream.
This method of ingestion enables you to take CBD in your favourite flavour and product type.
Inhalation: It consists of two methods: vaping and smoking, but either way, CBD passes through your lungs, delivering fast absorption.
CBD concentrates are typically dabbed, where you touch the concentrate with a hot nail, and the smoke rises for you to inhale.
Or you can use a vaporiser pen that converts CBD into vapour and inhale it in the form of liquid.
Topical application: Fibromyalgia patients may apply CBD creams and ointments on pain points and muscles to eliminate the pain and induce muscle relaxation.
This method offers users extremely fast effects and, in some cases, immediate relief.
This is a popular choice for people living with fibromyalgia because of the immediate relief you can achieve.
Bathing: Also, using CBD-infused products in the bath is incredibly beneficial for sufferers to find quick relief.
Adding CBD Queen’s body oil directly to your bath is a great and cost-effective way to achieve this.
We recommend using 6-10 pumps of body oil, then soaking in the bath for at least 30 minutes.
After this time, you should have increased relaxation and pain relief.
How Long Does it Take to Experience CBD Effects?
CBD works differently for each individual. As our bodies are unique, we all react differently to things.
It’s hard to tell how your body will react to CBD until you try it, so there’s a certain amount of trial and error with CBD and doses, etc.
If it’s your first time taking CBD, and you take an edible, you could be forgiven for thinking that CBD doesn’t work.
Oral CBD ingestion causes CBD metabolism, which is what typically delays the effects.
If you ingest CBD sub-lingually or vape it, the effects can kick in fast because CBD enters the bloodstream and begins work very quickly.
Apart from the methods of ingestion, other factors like CBD concentration, age, and pre-existing health problems can affect the rate of CBD action.
Also, different factors determine how long CBD stays in your system.
Final Thoughts on Taking CBD for Fibromyalgia in the UK
Fibromyalgia is a serious disorder that requires a serious treatment plan.
CBD has many potential therapeutic properties, including pain relief, anti-inflammation, and muscle relaxation.
Patients can try CBD oil to manage their fibromyalgia symptoms but should always consult a doctor to make sure they agree that it is safe to try.
We offer top-tier CBD products at CBD Queen, including tinctures, edibles, capsules, e-liquids, and topicals. Please visit our shop to check them out.
(You can instantly grab a voucher code by subscribing to our newsletter using the orange button to save 25% off your first order).